Friday, October 9, 2009
Memories of a Child
I've lost the sentiments I had for my last post, so i shall just dump it and start a new one. Recently, i dug out my primary school compo book. I was like, amazed, cos my pri school narrative compo is like, so much better than the naratives that i write now? Anyway, from now on i will just post some old compo every few posts.
Today's composition is "Presents".
When I was young, I would dream of what presents I would like to receive months before the acutal occasion. It could be a rocking horse, a miniature toy house, or even a real pony. It never bothered me that I never received them. After all, one could hope for miracles, couldn't I?
However, as I grew up, I learnt to accept the fact that the rocking horse was all but the shadows of a beautiful dream. The shadow was always within my reach, just near enough to tease me, but never near enough for me to touch. Also, as I grew up, my ideal presents became more realistic -- storybooks, a VCD, or a board game. I was also never in suspense about a present anymore. After all, if i did not tell my parents what to buy, what I did receive would never be good enough to cover my disappointment. Would it?
However, I suppose a figment of my childhood dreams still cling to me, for in my heart a hope still survived -- perhaps I would get the small figurine of a fairy I saw in a shop window the other day, or even a musical box? Only the people I lay my hopes on are no longer my parents. My friends became the people I looked hopefully at. After all, my parents could never understand that my ideal birthday present was not an electrical dictioonary or a branded watch after I hid my disapointment behind such a cheerful smile, could they?
The freedom and innocence of a child has long since flown from me. How can I still hold on to them, living in such a burdened world? However, a flicker of hope still remains in my heart. Will you fulfill it?
posted by Sylvia @
5:42 AM